- Why don’t some metals rust?
- Why does it take some things longer to rust than others?
- Why do materials rust?
- What does rust look like?
- How can rust be prevented?
- Why do we need rust?
- Is rusting important?
- Can the metal in a Olympic medal rust?
- Some metals don’t rust because some of the metals don’t get affected by oxygen so they don’t rust.
- It takes some metals longer to rust because some of them haven’t been affected by oxygen before but after it might take a little longer.
- Metal rusts as a result of iron coming into contact with water or air. When the water combines with air on the metal, carbonic acid is formed and the iron is dissolved hence making some of the water to break down into hydrogen and oxygen. When the oxygen comes into contact with the iron, iron oxide is formed making the metal to rust.
Materials rust because oxygen is reacting with the metal creating rust, then wearing away the rust.
- The unsightly orangy-brown mess that accumulates on metal is a highly unattractive feature that plagues many different objects, especially cars, trucks, screws, bolts, and tools.
Rust can be prevented by covering the metal in plastic, greasing it or even painting it!
- Rust is like metal growing old, almost like humans growing older and then dying. So rust is like a human, growing older then fading away.
- Rusting is important because it’s like us because if we don’t grow, nothing grows, so rust is like growing and it is also getting warn out by weather, letting you know that you need more metal.
- They are made of silver so they might rust sometime soon
Conducting a Science Experiment
- Water (150ml x2)
To find a way for metal (nail) to have the least amount of rust.
- Take one beaker and fill it with 150ml of water.
- Take the other beaker and fill it with 150ml of water.
- Paint one nail and let it dry completely.
- Put the unpainted nail in one beaker and the painted nail in the other beaker.
- Let the beakers sit for at least 12 hours. Observe and explain the results. Compare both nails.
Fair Test Table:
|Nail coated in paint then put in water.||Measure of how much rust is on both nailsTime=12-24 hours||Same materials except paint on one nail150ml of water||Nail put in water.|